The Army Cadet League of Canada (ACLC) Alberta Southern Zone is planning to have a tent at GlobalFest 2019 for the recruitment of Army Cadets and potential interested Adults, as part of their "once a year membership drive" under AGLC casino fund usage rules. This activity replaces their involvement in the Stampede grounds as in years past.
Please ensure you had read the details below and understands the committed responsibilities prior to volunteering. Senior Cadets and/or those who can commit to all (or most) of the days available are preferred. Individual needs to be comfortable and confident in speaking to the public, and that they can discuss the benefits of joining our program. Please respond ASAP (NLT 15 June 19).
Officer in Charge will advise those that are selected to participate, and their respective shift(s). A meeting will be held for all participants on Fri 5 Jul 19, details to follow.
- The dates are 15 Aug, 17 Aug, 20 Aug, 22 Aug and 24 Aug 2019.
- The ask is for 1 M and 1 F Cadet, 1 Piper, and 1 Officer to man the tent for each of the above dates from 1730-2130 hrs. A league Rep will also be at the tent. Additionally, the ask is for 1 M and 1 F Cadet, and 1 Officer to roam the grounds as roving recruiters per shift, but also to attract people to the tent location. A display of Cadet equipment and video display will be set-up by the League inside the tent.
- Each Cadet and Officer will in turn receive a free admission to the fireworks display, and each Officer will receive a parking pass. Of note, those parking in the area are prohibited from removing their vehicles until all foot traffic is dispersed, which could mean @2245 or 2300. Families of participating Cadets will also be given a promo code for reduced entry fees in the fireworks.
- Our Cadets and Officers will have access to first line F/A in the form of Paramedics on-site, etc.
- The League would like to "raffle off" a box of IMPs/MREs along with one of their cookbooks which contains IMP/MRE recipes (which they will purchase).
- Follow-up with new recruits in the 2019-2020 training year would be asked from all Army Cadet units to see who joined as a result of Globalfest. A handout will be given out by the League showing a map of all Army Cadet locations and parade nights/timings. It is hoped that the DND Army Cadet pamphlet is also available for the League to give out.
- Volunteers (Cadet and Officer) must be advised/be aware that if inclement weather postpones an evening of fireworks, the event will move to the next evening – as such, those committing to work a particular shift(s) must be able to work the following evening if inclement weather forces a rescheduling.
Additionally, there is a Citizenship ceremony being held on the Tuesday 20 Aug 19 during one of the shifts and it was asked if we could have our attending Cadets act as escorts or even a Color Party w/o arms for the swearing in ceremony. We would aim to identify Cadets that are confident to lead the group/attendees in singing O' Canada.
Once Cadets are dismissed from their duties on the site i.e. once the tent shuts down etc – they can either leave on their own means or stay afterwards with their family to take in the fireworks display (just as we did with the Stampede Grandstand show in 2017). This means cadets are then no longer under the officers' charge/ supervision.
Captain Ada Fong, CD